The Star card has been an immense challenge, but has also been one of the most rewarding concepts for me. I had some ideas on how I could emulate the Rider Waite card imagery, but decided to focus on the meaning instead and make a complete departure in terms of imagery. For me, the star card represents the calmness after the storm, the first step on solid ground or the glimmer of hope that rises out of the ash heap following the many types of tragedies we all face in life. In my experience as a kid, there was no place with a greater feeling of stability, hope, support, security, and love than my grandparents house. That being said, there's a lot more going on in this card that the simple portrayal of grandparents.
MORMON TAROT PLAYLIST
The Mormon Tarot is an archetypal map of mormon history and belief. The following playlist takes this concept into the world of traditional mormon music.
0. The Fool: Joseph Smith's First Prayer, 26
1. The Magi: An Angel From On High, 13
2. The High Priestess: As Sisters In Zion, 309
3. The Empress: God Is Love, 87, 313
4. The Emperor: Sons Of Michael, He approaches, 51
5. The Hierophant: God Bless Our Prophet Dear, 24, 19
6. The Lovers: Love At Home, 318
7. The Chariot: They, The Builders Of The Nation, 36
8. Strength: How Firm A Foundation, 85
9. The Hermit: A Poor Wayfaring Man Of Grief, 29
10. The Wheel: Come, Come, Ye Saints, 30
11. Justice: Battle Hymn of the Republic, 60
12. The Hanged Man: Praise To The Man, 27
13. Death: As The Shadows Fall, 168
14. Temperance: Come Follow Me, 116
15. The Tower: Isreal, Isreal, God is Calling, 7
16. The Devil: Awake, Ye Saints, 17
17. The Star: Sweet is the Peace the Gospel Brings, 14
18. The Moon: Lead Kindly Light, 97
19. The Sun: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
20. Judgement: High on a Mountain Top, 5
21. The World: Beautiful Zion, Built Above, 44
22. Ace Of Vision (Urim & Thumim), Be Thou My Vision
23. Ace Of Guidance (Liahona), Be Thou Humble, 130
24. Ace Of Action (Sword of Laban), Have I Done Any Good?, 223
25. Ace of Wisdom (Gold Plates), The Iron Rod, 274
The 22 major arcana of the tarot represent the archetypal story of the soul's journey through life. This ancient visual language has a marvelous ability to adapt to seemingly incongruous ideas and themes. This project illustrates the synchronistic alignment between the tarot and the story of early mormonism. These four cards focus on the role of Moroni in the story early mormonism. The Hermit card represents Moroni's lonely wanderings before depositing the record of his people. The Magician card represents Moroni's visitations with Joseph Smith. The Ace of Wisdom represents the entrustment of the gold plates to Joseph for the purpose of translation. The Judgement card represents Moroni heralding the Day of Judgement from the tops of the mountains.
Huge thanks to all the folks at Sunstone for this opportunity. This is truly an honor. And to have Greg Prince's cover story be about owning your religion is absolutely perfect! It's what this project is all about. BTW, I've heard this might be the last printed issue of the magazine. They need our support if the magazine is to continue. Let's not make the issue number 187 prophetic. You can support them here: https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/donate/
When will the cards be available for purchase?
I plan on having a grand trumps collector's edition ready for purchase by Summer of 2019. The grand trumps deck will be larger than a traditional deck. It will be printed in a higher quality format and contain the 22 major arcana and a few bonus cards.
Keeping Mormonism Peculiar Since 2012
powered by collective consciousness